Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savoury pancake with variety of ingredients usually consists of different vegetables and meat or seafood. My version of the okonomiyaki has shredded cabbage, corn kernels, shredded sweet potato, diced vegan calamari and firm tofu.
- 120g grated nagaimo (120g 新鮮山藥泥)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of dashi stock (ˋ4-5 湯匙高湯)
- 60g baking flour (60g 低筋麵粉)
- egg replacer that’s equivalent to 3 ‘large’ (60g each) eggs – available at Whole Foods (相當於三顆蛋的素蛋粉, 我是在Whole Foods買的)
- About 300g roughly chopped cabbage (300g 切成粗條的高麗菜)
- 30g of grated sweet yam or carrot (30g番薯絲或紅蘿蔔絲)
- 30g of corn kernels (30g 玉米粒)
- 10g of diced vegan calamari (10g 切碎的素花枝)
- 10g of crumbled firm tofu (10g 捏碎的硬豆腐)
- 3 tablespoons of chopped green onion (3 湯匙蔥花)
First mix the batter, which is made of dashi, baking flour, egg replacer, and grated nagaimo. Then add in the vegetables and mix well. Pour the mixture into a hot skillet until one side is golden brown. Flip it over and make sure it’s cooked through. A good way to check if it’s ready is to poke a chopstick into the pancake to see if any of the flour still stick to the chopstick.
做法請參考圖示，先把高湯，麵粉，素蛋粉跟山藥泥混勻，加入青菜跟喜歡的配料，攪拌攪拌到入熱好油的平底鍋，等到煎成金黃色就可以翻面。全部餡料都熟了以後就完成了 (當筷子插進去不會沾黏就是熟了)。在上面淋上大阪燒醬，素美乃滋，灑上海苔粉就大功告成! 其實很簡單呢。做了幾次下來發現了小秘訣就是: 用低筋麵粉比用高筋麵粉鬆軟，而加了素蛋粉的表皮比沒加還要酥脆。
The dressing is very important for Okonomiyaki, The first layer is the okonomiyaki sauce, which tastes similar to Worcestershire sauce. It’s readily available in the Asian market. Second layer is Japanese Mayonnaise; I used veganaise as a substitute; however, the traditional Japanese mayo is definitely sweeter and creamier. Lastly, sprinkle some aonori (dried seaweed) and you are done! It’s really not hard and I find it to be an excellent recipe for cleaning up my food in the fridge. Afterall, okonomi means “whatever you like” in Japanese.